Third party services that sent out automatic direct messages to new followers were all the rage a few months back. Even still it’s a popular solution for the “lazy twitterer” hoping to snag some extra traffic for their company’s blog or website.
Thankfully, both sites recognize the auto DM problem and have provided ways to opt out from receiving further communications via automated direct messages from their sites.
To put a complete stop from receiving these messages you should opt out from both sites.
Opting Out From SocialToo
SocialToo is currently the harder of the two to opt out from.
- You will need to go to socialtoo.com and create an account.
- Log In and click on “Change your Twitter and Facebook Preferences”
- Navigate toward the bottom of the page and check next to “Turn off automatic Direct Messages from other SocialToo.com users?”
You should be all set. Now on to TweetLater.
Opting Out From TweetLater
- Log in to Twitter.
- Follow @OptMeOut. (@OptMeOut will follow you back shortly)
- Once you receive an email stating you’ve been followed back, send a DM to @OptMeOut. (You can write whatever you want in the DM, it does not matter.)
That is all. You will receive a confirmation DM from @OptMeOut at which point you can unfollow them or just be on your way. The best part is that you do not need a TweetLater account to opt out.
* Update (8/3/2009) *
Here are a couple new services you can opt out from.
Waiting on @lolplaying to add a way to opt out from receiving auto-dms from their games. (see update below)
I can’t find who made Mobster World so I can’t ask them how to opt out.
Please let me know of any other services that send auto-dms on Twitter that also provide a way to opt out so I can add it to the list.